Friday, February 25, 2011

Mod-Mad

Materials
I feel the form of the overall piece has been affected by the material i chose, which was matches. And the piece couldn't really have been made of anything else because the entire concept hinged on the self destructive sacrificing nature of the source object. The material did pose some difficulties mainly in relation to its size versus my own body. There's a large difference there. I ended up with over 8000 matches on my project and that was still not enough to cover the entire structure. I think a total of at least 25000 matches would be necessary. and when you are attaching them one at a time, that gets very tedious and tiring. Not to mention the amount of time required. I would need at the minimum 72 hours of work time just devoted to attaching matches.
Process/Ambition
The piece went for the minimum requirement in terms of scale, though i could have altered the position of my body mass to make it more compact and thus a smaller object. The final piece was pretty close to the initial idea, which i now believe was insane and stupid of me to try. But i figured that out halfway through the project and still went for it.
Craft
I think the craft of my piece is somewhat distracting due to its unfinished appearance. I tried to alter it due to time restrictions but it still comes off as unfinished. I put way to much time and effort into making the under structure than the skin of the piece. I was obsessed with the piece being freestanding, which i had managed up until minutes before the presentation when the wind broke it. So I ended up covering over all the work that i put so much time into that no one would ever see.
Form
I think the most dominating elements in my piece are texture and color. Just because of the object I used. it was two tone so there is already a color aspect with the object, and the fact that friction is used to light the matches gives it a definite idea and sense in its texture. The repetition and rhythm of match placing also affects the piece.
Concept
The piece is basically centered around the history of the source object. I let the research lead itself and that made the piece. The whole concept of the piece came from the sacrificial nature of the match. A tool that is only useful when destroying itself to give energy to another. This along with the history of burnt sacrifices led me down a more spiritual road with this piece.
Presentation
Well first off it had to be outside for obvious safety reasons, but the presentation was pretty much a disaster. Nothing worked out the way I had planned. Especially in that the piece was meant to be a performance piece and in the end all it was gonna do was fall over. I hope to get another shot at burning it down, even if i end up just throwing it down covering it in gasoline and setting it on fire.



No comments:

Post a Comment