Thursday, March 3, 2011

Is Batman an Artist?

Reverend Acres is a kook. A nut. But with a good heart. I understand what he is trying to do with his 'work'. Now is what he does art? Only as much as the next crazy guy who dresses up in bright spandex with his underwear on the outside. To say what he is doing is art is to say that Batman is an artist, and I've never heard anyone argue in favor of that. Dressing strangly in public doesn't make you an artist. Back home there was a man who dressed up as superman, cape and all, at the bus terminal. I never once thought to myself "This is art", when he took off sprinting down the street with his arms out, listening to his tape deck. I thought a lot of things, as I think most of the people around me did, and I can say for an assurity that I never once thought that. Those are the people Rev. Acres reminds me of the most. The homeless man on the bus with a clock radio tied around his neck with a coat hanger. Plenty of people can argue that his sermons are contemporary art, but I see them as art no more than that homeless man's ramblings on the bus. And in the case of it being preaching, well sure why not? You don't have to know anything or even be right to preach. All you do is share an opinion. The only thing that separates preachers and raving lunatics, is the number of people willing to listen to them. Is he serious? I have no clue. I think he is serious about his work whether he believes in what he is preaching or not. It seems like he is trying to make peoples lives better with his work. you don't have to act seroius to be serious about what you're doing. I'm sure there's plenty of comedians out there who are serious about what they do. So who knows what the hell Rev. Acres deal is. If he says he's a preacher, then he's a preacher whether or not I care about what he says or how he presents it. If he says he's an artist, then he is. I still don't have to agree, that's art for you. Sure his work can be art, doesn't mean it's good. There's plenty of bad art out there. The fact that it sucks doesn't make it any less art. I refer to to art, meaning good art. So I still say he isn't an artist. He says he is. And do I care?

No comments:

Post a Comment